Thursday, December 8, 2011

At the End of the Road

This class has been really great and I have learned a lot through devising a piece of art with six other people. Personally, whenever I think about writing a play, I see it as a very daunting and overwhelming task. And with the addition of six other people, devising a play within a democratic framework can even seem more overwhelming. I loved that to create the realms we split up in groups and put the scenes on their feet. We then had two great ideas for every realm and we could compose from there. It’s also nice since some people are better at improv and thinking on their feet and some people are better writers. This process allowed both types to do their best work. Plus, both aspects of writing and improving together were a lot of fun!

I feel like our group really worked well as an ensemble. I know in one of my first posts I mentioned that I was nervous in working in a group, since usually in group projects it ends up one person doing a lot of the work and carrying the others. I did not feel like that at all with this group. I think we all shared an equal amount of respect for the project, for the community, and for each other. It makes me really excited thinking about how well we worked together creating this piece and how that strong ensemble feeling will carry over to the actual performance of the piece. I am proud to have been a part of this process!

No comments:

Post a Comment