Monday, October 17, 2011

Anna Deavere Smith.

"Do you want to be an artist so the whole world would look at you, or do you want to be an artist because you want to use your ability to attract attention, to have the world see itself through you differently?"

The way Anna Deavere Smith is able to capture people and mimic them is wild to me. She does it so well! I got to thinking what was going through her head, and how she could do what she does. It’s like she has to be able to put her heart into their bodies, feel what they feel, and let it out the way they would let it all out. It’s confusing, but at the same time, genius!

The video we watched on Anna Deavere Smith really intrigued me, so I decided to find out a little more about her. The fact that she received her MFA in Acting is so awesome to me. It seems like the most famous actors these days have never taken a college course. It seems like they have all become famous by knowing someone, getting lucky, whatever the reason, it’s awesome to know someone so successful went through school and became a very skilled actor that already had amazing talent.

I also found out she was in some of my favorite movies as well, and I never even noticed. Those being, Rent, and Rachel Getting Married. I guess I’m going to have to go back and watch them again and find her. So, not only was she a super successful Broadway actor, playwright, and author, but she got into Hollywood movies too. That’s inspirational.

And the final thing about Anna that really stands out to me is that she is a teacher! It shows that she really loves what she does, and wants to share her wealth in knowledge with everyone. She has taught drama, and even at the NYU School of Law, that’s just incredible.

Studying Anna and watching the scenes from her ELPs is definitely helping me with my own ELP, and without seeing what she can do, I have no idea where I would have even started! Anyways, I just thought she was an incredible actor, with an amazing eye, and amazing views. Now, after learning more about her, I also found that she is a beautiful being as well. Very, very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment