Thursday, October 20, 2011

Nerds are so cool now.


On Thursday, 10/13/11, we finished looking at everyone’s research projects, which made me more excited to work on the whole piece. It was nice to take the feelings and reasoning of why we like sports and examine them with the rigor that we do other academic subjects. As much as I feel that Sports Fans is a more trivial subject than some of our other options, it is still a major industry, a major part of the history of academic institutional development, and a major part of individual’s daily existence. 
I had ignored the individual’s daily existence as justification for Sports as an important social topic. I like sports a lot. I know a lot of other people get really into sports. It has been popular lately to base movies and plays on really niche, nerdy activities; Murderball for wheelchair rugby, Kings of Pastry for the MOF competition in France, Akeela and the Bee, even Bring it On. The enthusiasm for a small group activity is in vogue. However sports-as-a-whole seems like too big a category for this art-house look into a community that has developed. I think the paring down will come from the community we occupy. We are in a smallish city, with a small group, talking to a relatively small group of sports enthusiasts. I guess I am concerned with the results of the play. Can I be doing the best work while I am worrying about that?
Thursday was the first time I’ve seen us use our man-power as a group of 7 to really get a more in-depth look at what we are doing. Knowledge that may be considered common sense to some, is explained and we all get onto the same page. It’s amazing to me that we still haven’t written anything yet. We are building the foundation from which to start actually making. I am all for building strong foundations, but I love theatre for the actual making.

No comments:

Post a Comment