Wednesday, November 30, 2011

EPIC

When we were first assigned the Everyday Life Performance project, I was seriously confused. I has no idea how I was supposed to imitate someone, and someone so different, it wasn’t until after interviewing two different people that I realized, it doesn’t matter how different I think people are from me, everyone is insanely different from everyone. So, essentially, this was a huge challenge for me, and I’m sure for us all.

I don’t know if any of you have forgotten about Mr. Robert Day. The man who came to the first meeting and discussed his swimming history. He also mentioned that he was interested in rock climbing, and really enjoyed watching soccer. He talked so much, and since him and I had the similarity of swimming, I was excited to have a successful interview with him. But, I was so wrong. We sat down and began to talk, and of course my lap top wasn’t recording the first 8 minutes, so we started over. I asked him about his swimming experience and why he got in to it. He replied saying that his siblings did it, so he did it. I asked him to tell me some stories about swimming, about the meets, and challenges of it all... He had nothing to say. He just smiled and said, “nothing really happened. It was just something I did.” Same goes with all the other questions I asked him, about his rock climbing experience, and why he likes soccer... “Yeah it’s fun,” he’d say. I asked all these questions, and basically, came up with absolutely nothing.

But, I guess that was one of the things that I should have expected to happen. Because, ELPs are meant to surprise you and leave you hanging. It’s a person. You can’t change who they are, or what they want to tell you, and don’t want to tell you. So, I walked away disappointed. I have the video of course, so if anyone wants to see it, just ask me. Fail on my part though. My next ELP was definitely more successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment