Wednesday, November 30, 2011

so exciting.

While reading “Building Dialogue, Lyrics, and Choreography,” I found several things extremely interesting and helpful. Since our meeting on Friday, we have all decided that a musical is something we would all be interested in doing, and this excited me so much, because I have been writing and producing music for years. But, I never thought I’d try composing music for an actual musical. So going back over this reading, I have found a few things that are helpful.

The types of potential forms of performance pieces when it comes to monologues are soliloquy style and testimonial style. Soliloquy style is a character working out a problem out loud, and testimonial style is a character describing an experience. I think it would be incredible to take these moments that would normally be monologues and turn them into songs. They’d make for an epic moment in the music. The solos would be great for talking about a problem or experience, and then when a scout is going through a realm with just their guide, we could turn a song into a duet. Then as more people enter the scene, whatever we decide, it could be become a trio, or a chorus, and so on.

I like how this reading explains that there are no limits to writing music and lyrics. There can be a whole scene of lyrical language, or a whole scene of just realistic speech. Or they could be mixed in to each other however it is written. I just think this is going to be awesome to work out once we get the realms down, and after reading this reading again, it is so much more helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment