Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Revolutionary

As I was running on the treadmill today I thought about something that my most recent interviewee said during her interview. She talked about how she liked sports because when she saw people doing something that looked like so much fun and that was so much fun to watch that she inherently wanted to do it and that is how she got involved in football. This made me think of my experience this past weekend seeing the play Wicked. Now, did I leave the theatre wanting to go out and audition for Glenda No. I’m not that out of touch with reality. But I did leave the theatre feeling inspired by seeing such a great piece of theatre and with that bred the desire to produce quality work. My reason for bringing this up is that, in the initial interview when she made this statement, my thought was, “oh my gosh I have never watched a football or basketball game and wanted to play.” I couldn’t relate to her statement at all. However, after contemplating it, I realized that we got the same exact feeling from watching something that we enjoy and whether hers be a sports game and mine be a theatre performance, we both left feeling inspired and wanting to take action. I have never made this connection with sports before and really only categorized the arts as being an agent of change, but it occurred to me, that sports can have the same affect which I find revolutionary.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cara,

    Wanting to play sports as a product of watching sports is one of the most frustrating things to me! I want to be on the team! I want to throw the ball! I guess it's hard to get on a sports team, where it's relatively easy to get on a theatre team? Ee. That doesn't bode well for theatre. However I think that revolutionary theatre can be pulled off. It just takes a lot of searching to find people that you work well with, that you want to be with, that also want to push the limits of the quality bar.

    I am so glad to have found you in this department. Everyday coming to work with you is exciting. I am so excited for this piece, to make it great. You are a real boon for us all. I didn't meant to write this comment just to you, but the more I think about it, I am really really grateful.

    ReplyDelete